Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Twenty-six shapes: All you need to write your story

 

“Your story is important.” You’ve heard me say those words at least a hundred times.

 

“Someone needs to know your story.” I’ve also said those words over and over again.

 

I keep receiving reminders of those words and the truth of them, so I keep reminding you, too.

 

For example, just this morning I read the following words from Lloyd Ogilvie:

 

All we have and are is a gift of grace to be shared. Everything that happens to us prepares us to develop deep, sharing relationships. . . . Everything grace has given us is for others.”

 

Ogilvie continues: “When we go through the valleys of trials or stand on the mountaintops of victory, we are being prepared to enter into the difficulties and victories of others.

 

“We go through all of this so that we can be able to say those empowering words of empathy, ‘I know what you are going through—I’ve been there!

 

“Life is a school of grace

equipping us for a ministry of sharing,

developing confidence so we can say,

Thank You, Lord, for what has happened.

I can’t wait to see how You are going to use

what You have taught me

in sharing with someone

who will need just what I discovered!

(Lloyd Ogilvie, Silent Strength for My Life)

 

And now I hope the following Andrew Solomon quote makes you chuckle, but I also hope it inspires awe.


Solomon wrote, “Despite every advancement, language remains the defining nexus of our humanity; it is where our knowledge and hope lie.

 

“It is the precondition of human tenderness, mightier than the sword but also infinitely more subtle and ultimately more urgent.

 

“Remember that writing things down makes them real; that it is nearly impossible to hate anyone whose story you know; and, most of all, that even in our post post-modern era, writing has a moral purpose.”

 

Solomon continues:  

 

With twenty-six shapes arranged in varying patterns,

we can tell every story known to mankind,

and make up all the new ones. . . .

If you can give language to experiences previously starved for it,

you can make the world a better place.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment