Tuesday, August 20, 2019

“What made me think I could write my story?” How to stay on task


When working on any significant project, often obstacles pull us off track.

In writing your memoir—as a ministry, not a hobby—what derails you? What distractions lure you away?

Lots of things could entice you to say, “I don’t have time to write today. Maybe tomorrow.”

And before you know it, you’re turning the calendar page to a new month. And then to a new year.

And when you think about getting back to writing your memoir, you get discouraged.

You might even ask yourself, “What made me think I could write my story?”  

Sound familiar?

When that happens, we must refocus on the value of our stories. We must believe that our stories have importance.


One of the best motivators for me to write is this: I have learned some of the most important things in my life from other people’s stories. From them, I have learned about courage, hope, direction, healing, integrity, faith, wisdom, and understanding.

How crippled and lost I would be without those stories ministering to me. Like Proverbs 13:14a says, 

“The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life. . . .”

The blessings I’ve received from other people’s stories inspire me to pass on my stories to others.

Another motivation for me is this: God tells us to share our stories with others, starting with our children and grandchildren and spreading outward from there. 

If you’ve been with SM 101 for a while, you’re well-acquainted with Deuteronomy 4:9 which tells us to always remember what we’ve seen God do and to be sure to tell our kids and grandkids.

And in Luke 8:39, Jesus said, “Go tell your family everything God has done for you.

When you finish writing your memoir and hand it to your kids, grandkids and great-grands, this is, in effect, what you’ll be saying to them:

“Come, children, listen to me.
Let me teach you how to honor the Lord”
(Psalm 34:11, CEB).


Bottom line: You will face obstacles—other activities will look soooo fun, you’ll have good tasks that you’ll need to do and out-of-town guests to entertain. You’ll get sick. Interruptions will arise, but don’t let them throw you off track for long!

Ask God for help. Pray for wisdom to refocus and discipline to reprioritize so you can keep on task and fulfill this responsibility He has given to you.

Pray Moses’s words, that your stories might bring refreshing, nourishing blessings to your readers:

“Let my teaching fall like rain
and my words descend as dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants”
(Deuteronomy 32:2).

And you can pray Lloyd Ogilvie’s words:

“Gracious Father . . .
I never cease to be astonished
that You have chosen to do Your work through me.
Remind me throughout this day
to yield myself in prayer
so that my mind is directed by Your guidance. . . .
I say with the psalmist,
‘. . . for Your name’s sake, lead me and guide me’
(Psalm 31:3).”
(Lloyd John Ogilvie, Quiet Moments with God)





3 comments:

  1. Linda, I'm so far off track that I find it depressing on top of this recovery. I actually told my husband I thought I needed help. It's been almosts four years since I stopped working or thinking about my memoir, and I've actually said I won't publish it. Thanks so much for your words here today. They are what I needed to read tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sherrey, bless your dear heart. You have had a number of challenging situations that make it easy to understand why you'd need to set aside your writing. God knows all about those situations as well as about your story. He is merciful and encouraging and if and when the time is right for you to get out that old manuscript, you'll sense that it's a good thing. For now, be at peace, knowing you're currently at the right place at the right time. Your days are in His heart and hands. Please keep me posted. AND I'm really enjoying your blog posts, so keep up that good work, Sherrey!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Linda. I appreciate your gracious and encouraging words. They'll be held close in my heart.

    ReplyDelete