Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Reading memoirs can make you a stronger writer

 Matilda Butler at Women’s Memoirs encourages memoirists to read lots of memoirs, to “read broadly and think deeply.”

 

I am tempted to add a condition to that.

 

While I agree it’s wise to “read broadly and think deeply,” I say: Read good memoirs, memoirs written by people who understand what a memoir is (and is not), written by people who have a good grasp of what good writing is (and is not).

 

I’ve read several memoirs that have received rave reviews and attention but, in my opinion, they are not stellar. I want to say, “Don’t read them!” However  . . . . 

 

However, Matilda says “Even memoirs that aren’t particularly good can teach lessons,” and I must agree.

 

When reading memoirs, good ones or not-so-good, Matilda has these tips:

 

“You can ask yourself:

 

  • What do I like in this book?
  • What is off-putting?
  • How would I handle the story differently if I were writing this book?
  • Is the opening weak?
  • What ideas do I have to make the opening stronger?”

 

Matilda continues,

Thinking about a memoir,

questioning a memoir,

even rewriting a few paragraphs of a memoir

will make you a stronger writer.”




 

No comments:

Post a Comment