Thursday, April 12, 2018

Share your memoir’s first seven sentences with us


Memoirist Kathy Pooler tagged me and several others on Facebook recently, inviting us to share the first seven sentences of our WIP (work in progress). That was fun!

Today we invite you to share your openings, as well.

But first, for inspiration, read four brief sample openings, below:  

Here’s an excerpt from the Prologue of Kathleen Pooler’s second memoir, Daring to Hope: A Mother’s Story of Healing from Cancer and Her Son’s Alcohol Addiction:

For as long as I can remember, it has always been my role to mother my children whether that meant jumping in to fix every little mishap or showing love for their hurts and boo-boos. Eventually as they grew up, I would need to learn to let go and let my children navigate their lives on their own.  
This has been by far, the hardest lesson for me as a parent to learn. As a mother of an addicted son, my understanding of mothering was fearfully tested. 
I always loved my son but hated what he was doing to himself with his drinking which time after time left him foundering and me wringing my hands in angst in an endless series of self-defeating activities.
          
When he was a toddler, I could just pick him up and remove him from a dangerous situation. I could protect him. But as he grew, he tested my limits. I could not have known that the seven-year-old who screamed, “Look Ma, no hands” at the top of the pine tree would one day as a young adult find himself stranded, homeless, jobless and utterly alone.

Below are the first few sentences of my soon-to-be-published memoir, working title Please, God, Don’t Make Me Go!

I sat shoulder-to-shoulder with Roland, a seasoned bush aviator, as he piloted the custom twin-engine toward a Colombian airfield. I’d flown in our planes several times, but this was a first—watching the landing from the copilot’s seat. 
Dipping low, three or four seconds from touchdown, the wing on my side catapulted into the air and the plane veered to the left, lopsided and convulsing. Red lights flashed in the cockpit. A buzzer blared. Roland jerked levers and slapped switches and punched buttons.  
Please, God! I prayed, but I couldn’t say more—I couldn’t breathe. Of all the potential dangers I’d worried about for that trip—kidnapping, murder, and guerrilla activity aimed toward U.S. citizens—I’d never imagined a plane crash.


The next excerpt is from the beginning of Abigail Thomas’s A Three Dog Life: A Memoir:

This is the one thing that stays the same: my husband got hurt. Everything else changes. A grandson needs me and then he doesn’t. My children are close then one drifts away. I smoke and don’t smoke; I knit ponchos, then hats, shawls, hats again, stop knitting, start up again. The clock ticks, the seasons shift, the night sky rearranges itself, but my husband remains constant, his injuries are permanent. He grounds me. Rich is where I shine. I can count on myself with him.


And his is from the Prologue of Richard Gilbert’s Shepherd: A Memoir:

Childhood dreams cast long shadows into a life. As if the strong feelings they stir prove their validity, dreams propel the dreamer through an indifferent world. Which explains how I, a guy who grew up in a Florida beach town, find myself crouched beside a suffering sheep in an Appalachian pasture. 
“Richard, I think you should call the vent,” says my wife. Kathy and I flank the ewe’s prostrate body. 
Our third lambing has just begun this spring of 2001, and Red is in trouble. I’d found the little ewe in distress and had urged her up and nudged her inside an old shed, where she’d collapsed and resumed straining, panting as if in labor. But nothing happens; no lambs, hour after hour.


Okay, now it’s your turn! Post your first few sentences (up to ten sentences) below in the comments, or as a comment on SM 101’s Facebook Page, or in a private message.


The following posts will help you craft your memoir’s opening:

First lines    








17 comments:

  1. Great idea, Linda. It's always so interesting to read the beginnings. Here are a few sentences from the Prologue of my book, Two Hearts: An Adoptee's Journey Through Grief to Gratitude.

    Gradually I become conscious of a male voice speaking quietly next to me. It's 4:45 a.m., and the NPR commentator is telling me it's time for the day to begin. I slowly surface from the comfort of sleep. She's an elusive visitor these days and I'm reluctant to leave her behind. Between relentless hot flashes, emotional stress, and what my doctor is now calling neuropathic pain, I sleep fitfully when I sleep at all.

    I reach over, turn off the clock radio, toss back the covers, and fling my legs out of the warmth of my bed, leaving my husband our our sleeping Yorkies, Chelsea and Maya, behind. The moment my feet hit the floor, my mind is at work thinking about he day's priorities. I have an almost obsessive personal need to exceed expectations. In times of quiet reflection, I admit to myself that the high standards I set for myself are driven by insecurity and a need to prove my personal worth. Most of the time, however, I'm too focused on the task at hand to give it much thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for sharing your opening. It creates curiosity for the reader, and it effectively creates a sense of tension and anticipation. I hope our readers will check out your website, http://lindahoye.com/two-hearts-an-adoptees-journey-through-grief-to-gratitude/

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading these excerpts, dear Linda. They remind me how important it is to hook the reader from the start. Well done, all.

    Here's my first 7 lines that begin with a quote of mine that shows up later in the 1st chapter of my recovery story that's tentatively titled: Rescued from the Deep. (It's still in draft stage--constructive critiques welcome.) Thank you. :)

    Denial is a demon. I’m sure of it, and yet how hard we try to hide the signs and symptoms something’s wrong.

    The sparkling swimming pool took up most of my co-worker’s backyard and contrasted with the mire pooled inside of me. I wondered if anyone among the barbecue gathering of co-workers and their guests suspected how deep I sank and how close I was to drowning. Perhaps they were too busy treading water in places I wouldn’t want to trade with anyways. But I bobbed to the surface of my suffering and noticed a handsome stranger standing alone. He wore khaki cargo shorts that showed off the most beautiful, athletic legs I’ve ever seen on a man.

    http://www.wendylmacdonald.com/

    https://twitter.com/wendylmacdonald

    https://www.facebook.com/greenlightlady/

    https://www.instagram.com/wendyl.macdonald/

    https://soundcloud.com/wendy-l-macdonald




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, for sharing the opening sentences of your memoir. You did a nice job of using images related to water and drowning and treading water, and they were effective. I could feel your sinking, bobbing sensations. And then you added an unexpected twist that made me smile: a handsome stranger with the most beautiful, athletic legs you'd ever seen on a man. How intriguing. Thanks for sharing this with us, Wendy. We look forward to reading your memoir when it's finished. And I hope our SM 101 readers will check out the links you shared with us.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea and great post. Here are my first seven sentences from my memoir Family Matter: A Daughter's Brain Tumor, A Father's Stroke.

    Tommy, Pattie and I were playing illegally in the living room. We were the three youngest in our family of nine. Four and six years older than me, they were my playmates even though I was only seven, and they were in middle school.

    The living room was the place where my mom kept the ornamentations that may have taken over our whole house, had she not given birth to nine children. It featured white velveteen furniture with an orange floral pattern and white carpet that was still soft from intermittent use. My parents used the room mostly for cocktail parties with the $100 Club, a group of six couples who lived as we did around Kolbach Park. The group had first organized to raise money for the new church all the families belonged to. Each month they met at one another’s house for a potluck or to go out to dinner, each chipping in a few dollars at a time, and raising $100 a year, which later seem like such a small, novel amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, thanks for leaving the opening to your memoir. You caught my attention with playing "illegally" in the living room. That made me curious. Why would it be illegal for kids to play in their living room? And I like the details: the white velveteen furniture with orange floral pattern, the white carpet, still soft from intermittent use. I can picture the room. Have you published your memoir? Or still writing it? Thanks again, Catherine, and keep in touch with us here at SM 101!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I am still looking for a home for my memoir. You can learn more at www.catherinelanser.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for leaving the link for your website, Catherine. I enjoyed reading your blog post about the lamb cake, and wow, it was beautiful and tall! Good job!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your generosity and this opportunity, Linda. Here are the first nine sentences of my memoir Heart Ponderings: What a Mother Knows (working title).

    "We're losing him, John."

    "Don't say that!"

    "Somebody has to! Our son is dying, John! And if we don't admit that, we'll lose him for sure! Hopefully Dr. Goff will get to the bottom of this tomorrow."

    Our six-week-old son, Matthew, swayed in his swing, his tiny hands resting at his sides as he gazed out the large picture window of our living room at the gray afternoon. Resembling a wizened old man, Matthew emanated a calm acceptance of his plight, neither fretful nor resigned. I marveled at the strength of such a little person--one who was shrinking every day before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, thanks for sharing your opening to Heart Ponderings: What a Mother Knows. It's gripping. Also I just read your blog post, The Sound of Silence. It broke my heart. Is it part of another memoir you’re writing? I hope so.

      And, Diana, the account in your blog post reminds me so much of William Sanders’ memoir, Staying: A Multi-generational Memoir of Rescue and Restoration. Did you read my post about him and his book? Here’s a link to it:
      https://spiritualmemoirs101.blogspot.com/2018/04/let-me-introduce-you-to-william-sanders.html

      And here’s a follow up guest post by Bill: https://spiritualmemoirs101.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-must-read-bill-sanders-life-changing.html

      Keep us posted on how your writing goes, Diana, and be sure to let us know when you publish your memoir. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Linda. Yes, "The Sound of Silence" is part of another memoir I'm writing. I did see your post about William Sanders and his book. His story so resonated with me that I went to his website and signed up for his updates. Like Bill, I have committed to being a "stayer" for my kids. I had never heard that term before and it struck such a deep chord within me. In this day and age of disposable everything, all of us need more "stayers" in our lives. I'm so grateful for my relationship with the Great Stayer, Jesus Christ.

      Delete
    3. Diana, thanks for letting me know about how you'll use The Sound of Silence in another memoir. And Bill would be thankful to know how his book impacted you. Bless your heart for also being a Stayer. Please keep in touch, Diana.

      Delete
  6. Caren Colson Dillingham shared her opening sentences with us on our Facebook Page:

    “’Caren, we should hide together,’ Robert whispered quietly in his deep voice. ‘OK,’ I answered. I instantly felt safe, knowing that in our game of hide and seek, I would not have to hide alone in the dark. He took my small wrist and his massive hand and lead me to the left side of the tidy, midcentury track home. His home was the house where I played my last game of marbles, the house next-door to mine.”

    Click on this link to read more about Caren’s memoir, I Lost My Marbles: A Personal Story of Childhood Betrayal, Secrecy, Shame, and Restoration. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793TZZ9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_aAc0AbHC03FZ6

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thanks for the opportunity to share the opening sentences of our memoirs. Mine is titled God, the Devil, and Divorce: A Memoir of Divorce and Healing. My blog is http://www.god-devil-divorce-blog.com

    From our bedroom balcony I watch cumulous clouds building up behind Mt. Washington, the Master Painter outlining them in gold. Soon the night hawks will whir and soar, producing strange groaning sounds as air rushes through their outstretched wings. But I won’t be here to enjoy the spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for sharing your memoir's opening sentences. I can picture those clouds and mountains, and hear those hawks. And then your final sentence caught me totally by surprise. It makes me want to keep reading. Good job, Linda!

      Delete