Thursday, April 4, 2019

Are you having trouble remembering details about your memoir’s key people?


Reading time: 1 minute, 36 seconds

Have you ever forgotten specific details about a person dear to you?

I’ve been thinking about my sweet little mother. She died five years ago last week. During her memorial service, my brother Douglas told about one of Mom’s possessions, which she used to pull off many pranks: an inflatable, life-sized woman’s body—but only from the waist down. Mom would put pantyhose, shoes, and a skirt on it and slide it part way under our guests’ cars. Her prank always got squeals and guffaws.

One time she pushed it part way under our youth minister’s car. After Mark’s visit, he descended the dozen front stairs, only to burst through the front door a few seconds later, a blubbering, sobbing mess.

“I think I killed someone! Call an ambulance! Call the police!”

Mom explained it was just a prank, but he persisted.

“I don’t know how it happened,” he bawled, “but I ran over a woman in your driveway! I think she’s dead!”

Eventually, Mom calmed him down and showed him they were fake legs. Poor dear guy. I wonder if he ever forgave her.

Mom visited us in South America
My brother’s story during Mom’s memorial service made me laugh aloud. I’d forgotten about that season of her life.

That, in turn, sparked more memories, like the time Mom, an elementary school teacher, snuck into the principal’s private bathroom one day when he was gone and stretched plastic wrap over his toilet bowl. (I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.)

Don’t get me wrong: My mother was more than a prankster.

She was named Washington State Teacher of the Year. She went on to become a finalist for National Teacher of the Year and enjoyed a reception on the White House lawn with First Lady Pat Nixon.

Washington State Teacher of the Year
She was on a first-name basis with our governor and first lady.

She held state-wide and nation-wide positions on various boards and commissions.

She founded a museum.

But all that’s kind of dry, isn’t it?

If you were reading stories about my mother, wouldn’t you enjoy knowing that beyond her professional accomplishments, she was also a prankster? Doesn’t that information make her seem more real and alive? More fleshed out?

Are you trying to give life and personality to one of your memoir’s key characters?

If so, strike up a conversation with someone who knew him or her well. Start telling stories to each other and see what memories come to mind.

Also, look over old pictures. Photos can trigger memories, too. (And be sure to include pictures in your completed memoir!)

Memories are crucial in the development of your memoir’s significant people. That’s important because you don’t want—and especially your readers don’t wantlifeless, vague, colorless characters.

Your readers will thank you for 
making your memoir’s significant people 
come to life.







2 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, the story of your mother's prank made me laugh out loud. It is true we like to read about people who are more than what is apparent. Your mom sounds like an awesome woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful, yes, she was a fun gal. She had to grow into that part of herself, though. She started out shy-ish and rather proper, but the real Kay came out beginning in her mid-30s and later. She also had a really difficult life with several deep heartaches and--oh, my--what a role model she was for me with not only her extreme hard work but her faith, as well. Thanks for stopping by, Joyful. You are so encouraging. Bless your heart.

      Delete