Thursday, February 7, 2019

Even if I must drag myself on bleeding hands and knees to get there


Reading time: 1 minute, 51 seconds

My memoir should have been in print months ago.

I’ve fought hard to finish this book, keeping my eyes always on the mountaintopthat sometimes-elusive “Published!”—hiking foothills, surmounting rocky outcroppings, enduring loneliness, slogging through inevitable valleys between peaks, persevering despite summer’s heat and winter’s ice.

Standing victoriously on that topmost peak requires a ton of hard work.

Like Vince Lombardi said, “The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.” (Duh. . . .)

It’s a struggle. A fight. Sometimes it’s an all-out war.

And my battle has tuckered me out.

I gave myself a couple of months to catch my breath, to regain strength and enthusiasm.

Now the time has come to throw myself back into this culminating scramble—to tackle the final sheer vertical ascent to that mountaintop.

But technical problems have left me immobilized. I struggle to pick myself up and fight the final challenge, to finish. I’m stuck.

Maybe you’re stuck, too.

A few weeks ago on Facebook, Mick Silva of Higher Purpose Writers wrote, “Mondays can come with a hefty dose of guilt and shame for once again having to concede you don’t have a work completed. . . .”

He nailed it. And the ridiculous thing is that, if I worked diligently, I could have this memoir ready to publish in less than a week!

Yes, I feel the guilt and shame.

But I don’t want to give up!

I want to conquer—to stand atop that mountain peak named “Published!” even if I must drag myself on bleeding hands and knees to get there.

And so I pray a lot, and I cling to God and a number of Bible verses

I hope these will strengthen you, too:

  • Let’s approach God’s throne boldly and confidently, trusting Him, because there we’ll find mercy and grace to help when we’re in need. Hebrews 4:16
  • Help me, O Lord my God! Ps 106:26a
  • God is . . . an ever-present help in times of trouble. Psalm 46:1
  • It is God who strengthens me. 2 Samuel 22:33
  • God is my helper, the One who sustains me. Psalm 54:4
  • Don’t panic. I am with you. There’s no need to fear for I am your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. Isaiah 41:10, The Message
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT
  • You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you. Isaiah 26:3, GNT


So, Friends, continue climbing those rocky, steep mountains!
Keep praying.
Trust God with all your heart.
With His strong assistance, scale those scary crags.
Clamber.
Persevere.
Prevail.
Triumph!


If you’re struggling to complete your memoir,
let us know how we can pray for you.

Leave a comment below on the blog,
or send a private message.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that message. This week the most difficult chapter I'd been working on for two weeks, just disappeared! I have no idea how, nor what to do. Makes me question and second-guess my goal and purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita! I'm so very sorry that all your hard work just disappeared! But don't give up! You can do this! May God give you the ability to remember what you wrote and then help you to rewrite it. I have a hunch the material in that chapter is mighty important! Some of your readers really need to read that chapter. It could be life-changing for them. Please leave a comment again soon and let me know how you're doing.

      Delete