Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Your “Sacred Stories of the Ordinary”


Invisible Lines of Connection: Sacred Stories of the Ordinary.


That’s the title of one of Rabbi Lawrence Kushner’s books.


I like those words. I like them combined that way. I resonate with the images they inspire. I especially applaud their meaning.


From one generation to the next, to the next: “Invisible lines of connection: Sacred stories of the ordinary.”


That’s what your spiritual memoirs and mine are all about!


“Reverence before heaven. Amazing grace.” Rabbi Kushner says, “It is a way of understanding your place within Creation.… When viewed from a point of high enough vantage, everything is revealed to be in the hands of God, as in the Yiddish saying, Alles ist Gott, ‘It’s all God.’” (Invisible Lines of Connection: Sacred Stories of the Ordinary)


Your sacred invisible lines have been there all along, since long before you were born.


Try to take this in: God includes you in His sacred stories that span the centuries.


“Part of God’s infinite genius appears in how such humanness can play into the divine story.” (Beth Moore, James: Mercy Triumphs)


We humans—you and I—are part of God’s divine story.


You began with a plan God wrote:


“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT).


“The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more” (Psalm 121:8, NIV).


We discover sacred stories of the ordinary, Kushner says, “Throughout all creation, just beneath the surface.…”


You might think you live an inconspicuous, unremarkable life but, through the generations, God has been writing His sacred stories through you and your family’s ordinary events.


Look for a broader, deeper significance hidden in your everyday moments.


Take time to search for ways God has watched over your coming and going.


Track sacred connections that exist all around you.


Ask God to give you glimpses of His hand-written, just-beneath-the-surface stories.


And when He does, write them!



8 comments:

  1. Thank you, as always, Linda for your wise and challenging words. I'm workin' on it - a long ways to go, but I'm chugging away...at least in my head. I included you and your blog in a list I was privileged to compile for Sarah Bessey today over at Emerging Mummy - a list of bloggers over 50 with good things to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, what a wonderful surprise! Thank you, sweet friend. :)

      You are doing more than "chugging away." You are am amazing writer, Diana, and your words are full of love, grace, and wisdom. You bless me and so many others.

      Thanks again, Diana.

      Linda

      Delete
  2. "Sacred stories of the ordinary"-YES!! Too often we think something is only a sacred experience if it is a flashy miracle. The sweetest building of faith comes from the daily steps we take, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you worded that, Lia. We don't need lashy miracles to know that God is with us and acting on our behalf to bring about His good purposes, from one generation to the next. Like you said, He's in the daily steps. Thanks for stopping by, Lia, and adding your words of wisdom.

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Linda, You always seem to strike at the heart of my writing life- finding the extraordinary things in my ordinary life through God who is central to all experiences. Thank you, as always, for your inspirational messages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kathy, thank YOU for your kind words and your many inspirations through your blog and from your comments here. How is your memoir coming together?

      Hugs and smiles,
      Linda

      Delete
  4. I am visiting from Diana's list Linda. I am so glad I did. This is a beautiful place - filled with such beauty and peace. I love all of the wonderful quotes you've included in this post. What a miracle to think that we are part of His story. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for coming over from Diana's blog. Isn't she an amazing lady and writer? I find so much wisdom and inspiration from her.

      I hope you'll join us again, Linda. Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      The Other Linda

      Delete