Saturday, August 4, 2012

Stories are …



Stories are our prayers.
Write and edit them with due reverence,
even when the stories themselves are irreverent.


Stories are parables.
Write and edit and tell yours with meaning,
so each tale stands in for a larger message,
each story a guidepost on our collective journey.


Stories are history.
Write and edit and tell yours with accuracy
and understanding and context
and with unwavering devotion to the truth.


Stories are music.
Write and edit and tell yours with pace
and rhythm and flow.
Throw in the dips and twirls that make them exciting,
but stay true to the core beat.
Readers hear stories with their inner ear.


Stories are our soul.
Write and edit and tell yours
with your whole selves.
Tell them as if they are all that matter.
It matters that you do it as if that’s all there is.

(Jacqui Banaszyski, “Stories Matter,” from Telling True Stories)




4 comments:

  1. Such an encouraging post for me as I struggle to get back "on track" with the story of my relationship with my mother. Thank you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jess, when I ran across this passage in the new book I bought, Telling True Stories, I just KNEW I had to share it with our SM 101 tribe! Bless you as you struggle in your writing. Like the quote says, your story is "a guidepost on our collective journey." You never know who really needs to read your story. Take heart, Jess!

      Linda

      Delete
  2. I love this. It reminds me why I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tina, and welcome to SM 101! Bless you as you write. It never ceases to amaze me how writing our stories accomplishes so much more than writing something merely for the benefit of others: It brings healing and clarity to us, the writers, in ways I never could have imagined. So, Tina, write on!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment.

      Linda

      Delete