Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Write your memoir “on the cutting edge of what’s going on in God’s heart”



“In Raise Up A Standard—
Michael Phillips asks, ‘Do we want to write
the sensational or the significant?’
He challenges Christian writers
‘to be on the cutting edge, not of trends,
not of what’s going on in publishing … but to be on
the cutting edge of what’s going on in God’s heart.…
If you believe in your message,
don’t give up on it.
Don’t water it down.
Don’t sensationalize it
just to get published
or to try to make it a best-seller.
Stand firm, in integrity and truthfulness,
for what God has given you
to communicate’
(Eureka, CA: Sunrise Books, pp. 29-31).”

(Marlene Bagnull in Write His Answer
A Bible Study for Christian Writers.) 


I like that: In writing memoir, let’s “be on the cutting edge of what’s going on in God’s heart.”


That, however, is a daunting task.


How can any human approach the cutting edge of what’s going on in God’s heart?


Henri J. M. Nouwen tells us the way to begin, and to end, and to accomplish everything in between:




5 comments:

  1. Linda, I love Henry Nouwen, and I wanted to tell you that I've purchased Marlene's book and just started it yesterday. Oh so powerful! Who knew the Scriptures included so much for those of us who write? People who can dig deep into those words and pull out so many truths and promise amaze me! I know we all aren't gifted with the same things, but I just don't know how they do it. :) I derive so much from your posts and especially of late as I struggle with knowing how to write my memoir, which in total has a lot to do with faith and grace. I know He'll get me there but it just seems to be taking forever. A verse that Marlene pointed out talked a lot about waiting and patience -- I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherrey, I know you'll enjoy Marlene's book. She and her words will bless and encourage you.

      Your diligence in writing your memoir inspires me and so many others. I suspect you'll look back and see that the waiting and the patience you are experiencing now hold valuable lessons that are probably not apparent to you yet. Later you will find surprises of joy. :) This is part of fruit-making; now you're in the bud stage, or maybe the bud has already blossomed. The ripe fruit comes next.

      Thanks for stopping by, Sherrey. I want to read your memoir!

      Linda

      Delete
  2. Linda,
    This is such a powerful directive-to stand still long enough to know what God has given us to communicate,"standing firm, in integrity and truth." Henri Nouwen is one of my favorites. I agree with Sherrey, your posts really hit at the core of my writing path. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy, and for your kind words. Together, you and God are fashioning a powerful story that He will use to bless and encourage so many readers. God is doing so much in and through you right now. You might not be able to see it, but believe me, lots is going on and it's exciting for me to stand on the sidelines and watch!

      Keep up the good work!

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this message. In a culture where sensationalism is constantly thrust at us and where "success" is measured in terms of how much money you're making and how many sales or readers your latest publication has amassed, it's easy to lose sight of the goal of writing from the heart and listening to direction from the source that really matters. And I agree with Kathleen and Sherrey--especially about having patience!

    ReplyDelete